Copyright©2008. Congregation of Saint Joseph.
In 1889, the first Sisters of St. Joseph arrived in Kalamazoo, Michigan and established the congregation of Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth. The founding sisters came to Kalamazoo at the request of the Diocese of Detroit and Msgr. Francis O'Brien for the purpose of establishing a hospital, later named Borgess Hospital. At about the same time these first sisters, under the leadership of Mother Margaret Mary Lacy, began an orphanage and a school in addition to establishing their motherhouse at Nazareth on the outskirts of the city of Kalamazoo.
Over the years, the congregation expanded throughout Michigan and our ministries grew to include health care, social work, education, parish ministry, spiritual development, pastoral ministry, and ministry with those who are elderly, homeless, or dying. Through our shared life and these works, we live out our founding mission, "that all may be one." Through our charism of unifying, reconciling love we respond to God's call and to the contemporary needs of the people around us -- "the dear neighbor."
Ministries We Founded:
Dillon Complex for Independent Living
Transformations Spirituality Center
Our Lady of Guadalupe Middle School for Girls
Peace & Justice
Make a Gift – Mission Advancement Office, 3427 Gull Road, PO Box 29, Nazareth, Michigan 49074-0029; 269.381.6290, ext. 211 or email Pat Milenius at email@example.com
Contact Us – Nazareth Community Center, 3427 Gull Road, PO Box 34, Nazareth, Michigan 49074-0034; 269.381.6290. or email InfoNazareth@csjoseph.org