Copyright©2008. Congregation of Saint Joseph.
In 1872, three sisters including Mother St. George Bradley came to the Cleveland Diocese to serve as teachers at St. Mary, Painesville, where the first Cleveland “house” was founded. Through Mother St. George Bradley's vision, the Cleveland Congregation began.
In 1898, the Cleveland Congregation headed further north in Ohio, when Mother Theresa Fitzmaurice purchased property on a dirt road in the wilderness on the far west side of the city of Cleveland. On these grounds, two buildings were constructed: a motherhouse for the growing community and a boarding school for boys and girls.
In 1905 the present motherhouse, St. Joseph Convent, was built. In 1929 St. Joseph Academy was built.
St. Joseph Academy is now a separately incorporated, comprehensive high school for young women—the only all-girls Catholic high school in the City of Cleveland.
St. Joseph Convent is known as St. Joseph Center which also serves as the Congregation’s central office. The building houses both retired and actively ministering Sisters, central administration offices, the St. Joseph Worship Space, and River's Edge, a spirituality, conference and retreat center. Situated on 37 acres of property bordering the Cleveland Metroparks and overlooking the Rocky River, St. Joseph Center was renovated in the late 1990s with the environment in mind. The Congregation is committed to the environment and makes every attempt to care for the buildings and property in a way that recognizes the sacredness of the earth and its gifts.